Please read the information below before applying!
About the Scholarships:
The Ben and Karen Deutsch Internship Fund and the School of Journalism and Mass Communication Board of Visitors (BOV) Summer Support Fund were established to support student summer internships. The Deutsch Internship Fund was established in memory of Ben’s friend, roommate and classmate, Howie Stillman. Awards will range up to $4,000.
Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible.
To be eligible you must:
- Be enrolled in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication with a graduation date after December 2017.
- Be on campus and enrolled in school during the Fall 2017 semester.
- Have applied for, secured, or been accepted for a summer internship. The internship must last a minimum of six weeks and involve a minimum of 120 hours of work, with a minimum of 20 hours/week.
- Show proof of internship (s) – if you applied for more than one; this may include a copy of the completed application, time period and hours of internship, a complete description of job duties and responsibilities, and include the amount of pay or stipend being provided. If already accepted into the internship, a letter from the supervisor confirming acceptance.
The following criteria will be taken into account:
- How this internship will benefit you in regard to your personal and professional goals.
- How this scholarship assistance will enable you (be specific) to participate in this internship opportunity.
- Your motivation and passion for the internship and why you specifically want this opportunity.
- The breakdown of anticipated expenses during the summer of your internship.
- Preference will be given to students who may have NOT had any internship experiences to date related to their personal/professional goals and/or have a financial need.
Prior to completing your online application, you need the following documents in PDF form:
- Proof of internship and internship description
- A resume
- A letter of recommendation from an advisor, professor, employer, or professional contact
Application deadline: Friday, April 7, 2017; 4:30 pm.
The selection committee will interview finalists before a final decision is made. Applicants will be individually notified of the decision regarding their application by Friday, April 28, 2017.
Internships at a partisan political organization and/or for a legislator cannot be considered.
Before you begin this application, be sure that you have created pdf file ahead of time that contains the following:
Resume (include all internships and experiences)
Internship Description(s) – if you have more than one potential internship that you have applied to, please list all of them)
Start/End Dates of Internship; Number of hours/week of internship; payment or stipend; whether you are required to receive credit.
Proof of Internship Acceptance
Letter of Recommendation
Upload MUST be in pdf format!
To apply: 2017InternshipScholarship