|Apply by||Deadline not specified—Apply ASAP!|
|Posted on||January 29, 2021|
UW-Madison Archives is seeking service-oriented, creative, highly-motivated, detail-oriented students to work cooperatively with staff to provide reference assistance to our patrons, complete daily archives work, and assist with Archives projects as needed. Our positions offer an excellent opportunity for hands-on experience
working with a variety of materials and performing various functions within a university archives.
University Archives and Records Management, part of the Special Collections and Archives Division of the UW-Madison General Library System, collects, preserves, and provides access to a comprehensive record of academic, administrative, faculty, staff, student, and community life at the UW-Madison.
COVID-19 NOTICE: Under the current COVID environment, the UW Archives is open this spring to a limited number of visitors Monday-Friday from 1- 4pm by appointment only. During those times, the person in this position will work onsite with staff to assist patrons in the reading room as well as fulfill research requests via in-person, phone, and email. You can read our guidelines here: https://www.library.wisc.edu/library-by-appointment/reading-rooms/
ELIGIBILITY: Applicants must be a currently enrolled UW-Madison student (or have proof of upcoming enrollment) and must be able to reach, bend, stoop, and lift full record storage cartons of books and/or folders (not greater than 50 lbs). Must wear a mask and follow current Campus COVID-19 protocols while performing duties.
STARTING DATE: January/February 2021
WAGE: $11 per hour with the possibility of an annual raise
• Onsite work (up to 10 hr/wk) during open hours Monday-Friday 1-4pm, in 3 hour shifts. Preference given to those who can work Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays from 1-4pm.
• One-year commitment at minimum (flexible)
LOCATION: The Archives is on campus, Steenbock Library 4th floor (room 425), 550 Babcock Drive
• Greeting and assisting patrons with appointments who visit the Reading Room
• Providing basic reference and research services via in-person, phone, and email
• Tracking and fulfilling Archives requests through Aeon client
• Completing basic archival tasks, including paging and shelving Archives materials
• Other projects as assigned
• Service-oriented, positive, friendly attitude
• Attention to detail and accuracy, the ability to work both independently and on a team, and to reliably and professionally meet the scheduled commitments
• Proficient in productivity software, such as Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe products, and Google Educational Apps
• Experience, knowledge, and/or interest in archives and/or archival research
• To apply, please send a brief introduction via email and include resume or CV with the subject line “UW Archives Assistant” to Cat Phan, Digital and Media Archivist, at email@example.com
• Open until position(s) filled; we will start reviewing applications as they are submitted
• For additional information or questions, contact Cat Phan at firstname.lastname@example.org