|Employer||The Minnesota Viking|
|Apply by||Deadline not specified—Apply ASAP!|
|Posted on||April 8, 2021|
The Minnesota Vikings are seeking a Communications Intern to assist with the day-to-day operation of supporting the communications team. The ideal candidate will have experience in sports communications, media/journalism or public relations, an excellent attention to detail and a commitment to learn and think critically. The individual will also be capable of working across different departments and cultivating relationships within the organization.
In addition to the duties described above, the Communications Associate will take part in the Vikings’ exclusive Leadership Development Program. This program will provide regular opportunities for professional development, exposure to organizational leadership and the ability to develop skills critical for the Associate’s future career growth. A fundamental part of the program will include clearly defined goals between the Associate and their Supervisor that will be tracked and measured for progress throughout the term of the program.
This is a temporary full-time position and expected to conclude at the end of May 2022, unless otherwise determined.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Understand and promote the identity of the Vikings and team ownership and assist with the development of appropriate internal and external messaging.
• Develop relationships with local and national media along with internal Vikings staff.
• Assist with facilitating media interview requests for Vikings coaches, players and staff, understanding interview tone and content and preparing individuals prior to interviews.
• Collaborate on the development and execution of football and business communications campaigns and initiatives.
• Assist in the writing and editing of content and the design layout of the annual team media guide, published each offseason and distributed to media, coaching staffs and club executives throughout the NFL.
• Assist in writing weekly game release, contributing notes, updating records, writing game summaries, supplemental bios and supplemental statistics; oversee distribution of materials to opponents’ PR departments, network TV and radio.
• Update the layout and production of game day materials, including but not limited to, game day flip card, press box seating chart, pregame/postgame notes, quote transcriptions and other press materials.
• Execute game day activities, including setting up the press box, assisting media check-in and coordinating game day interns.
• Assist the department with media credential requests and distribution process.
• Regularly set up and tear down daily press conferences.
• Schedule and host Zoom calls along with updating audio/video files within Dropbox.
• Transcribe and distribute player, coaches and executives quotes.
• Compile daily news clips to be emailed to Vikings staff and media.
• Contribute to Vikings PR Twitter account with team and player notes.
• Regularly update Vikings media web site – Vikings.1rmg.com.
• Tasked with operating media monitoring services such as Prime Research and Meltwater with the goal of producing quarterly reports.
• Maintain the media center at TCO Performance Center as well as the press box work room at U.S. Bank Stadium.
• Schedule and facilitate weekly catering for media members.
• Handle logistics for photo/video shoots at TCO Performance Center.
• Serve as media contact at organizational community and corporate events when needed.
• Assist the scouting and personnel department with researching and writing potential draft pick and free agent biographies.
• Assist in all media logistics, including daily schedules and updates to ensure media are aware and in position to attend practices and serve as on-field liaison during mini-camp, OTAs, training camp and regular season practices.
• Assist in annual award nominations and compilations, including Pro Bowl, NFL 100, Bart Starr, etc.
• May be required to work high school football games held at TCO Stadium and assist with front desk duties when necessary.
• Assist with promotion of Viking Lakes campaigns and initiatives.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or similar field.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
• Experience with stat programs such as Pro Football Reference, Next Gen Stats and 360 Sports Radar is a bonus.
• Knowledge of media monitoring services is a plus.
• Must exhibit core values that align with the Vikings communications department and the organization (unity, commitment, integrity).
• Exhibit strong communication and active listening skills and an ability to adapt and problem solve in stressful, time-sensitive situations.
• Must be a critical thinker who wants to understand why we do what we do as a department as well as the broader business goals.
• Must be a self-starter and detail-oriented when it comes to completing tasks.
This position may require the individual to have access to confidential records and information. To successfully perform this position, confidentiality of the information with which the individual has contact must be maintained.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to perform physical tasks such as lifting and moving boxes, etc.
• Ability to navigate U.S. Bank Stadium and TCO Performance Center.
• Ability to work in inclement weather.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Standard office for regular office hours, on-site events.
Click here to apply online.
Deadline not specified—Apply ASAP!