|Location||Madison, WI | Remote|
|Apply by||December 20, 2023|
|Posted on||November 20, 2023|
R The Savanna Institute invites applications for a Communications Specialist to expand the Institute’s relationships with brands, provide communications support for the Agroforestry Coalition, and expand capacity for the production of excellent communication materials.
We seek applicants who share our passion for ecological and equitable agriculture as a nature-based climate solution and who are motivated to widen the circle of who has the opportunity to inform, support, and benefit from its development. To that end, we are seeking a diversity of voices at the table and strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
The Savanna Institute is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Madison, WI and Urbana, IL. Established in 2013, we work in collaboration with farmers, businesses, and scientists to lay the groundwork for widespread agroforestry in the Midwest US. Inspired by the native savanna ecosystems that once covered much of this region, we envision a transformed agricultural system, centered on trees and other perennial crops, that fosters ecological resilience, climate stability, economic prosperity, and vibrant, equitable communities. For more information, please visit savannainstitute.org.
• This position is eligible for the Institute’s benefits package. Benefits for full-time employees include 30 days paid time off per year, 3 weeks of paid family leave, a health reimbursement arrangement that can be applied to insurance premiums and approved healthcare costs, and a monthly home office stipend.
• This position reports to the Assistant Director of Communications
Brand Partnerships (25%): Working closely with the Senior Director Impact & Engagement, the Communications Team, and the Director of Development pilot Savanna Institute’s brand partnerships, including:
• Working with Communications and Development to identify potential sponsorship packages and potential impact metrics for each product (could include sponsorships for events, communications products, and educational resources)
• Connecting with business partners and pitching sponsorship opportunities
• Coordinate with Commercialization Department to ensure alignment across programs
• Managing sponsorship placements, relationships with brand marketing departments, regularly communicating impact metrics
• Manage annual requests for sponsorships for the PFG and Open House
• Managing conference sponsorships by booking and corresponding with conference hosts and any Savanna Institute staff attending
Coalition Communications (30%): Working closely with Asst. Director of Partnerships and Asst. Director of Communications, ensure that:
• The Agroforestry Coalition membership receives timely updates on Coalition activities
• Coalition website is updated as needed, meetings are scheduled, and notes are taken and shared from Working Group meetings
• Support Coalition Speakers Bureau requests
• Support Communications Working Group in initiatives like Marketing Board creation, op-ed or article responses, and other communications needs for the coalition
General Communications Projects (30%): Could include
• Placing and managing Savanna Institute’s advertising calendar so ads are relevant, on budget and make the most impact
• Supporting with newsletter production by gathering sponsor and partner content to include in the newsletter
• Writing and soliciting partner content for the Savanna Institute and Agroforestry Coalition blogs
• Supporting the management of the Savanna Institute communications archive of assets and materials
• Working with programs to develop program-related materials and copy
• Social media outreach, especially for events
Overhead and meetings (15%):
• Weekly Communications Team meetings
• Regular one on one meetings with co-workers
• Grant writing and research for proposals as needed
• Ability to accurately prioritize and take tasks to completion
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Proactive, self-directed and reliable with excellent organizational skills and eye for detail
• Access to personal phone/computer
If you’re excited about this job, we’re excited to learn about your experience! Please be sure to address each of the qualifications in your cover letter — paint us a picture of how your unique skills, experiences, and/or education meet or exceed the qualifications. Cover letters should be no longer than one typed page.
Click here to apply online.
Application Deadline—December 20, 2023.
Questions? Email Kathleen Fitzgibbon, Operations Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.