|Employer||UW-Madison, Allen Centennial Gardens|
|Apply by||January 23, 2022|
|Posted on||December 20, 2021|
The Allen Centennial Garden is an artful living laboratory providing authentic learning experiences for the University of Wisconsin and surrounding communities. Allen Centennial Garden is seeking an energetic and highly motivated student with strong leadership, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills to fill the position of Education and Community Programs Intern.
About the Position
Reporting to the Garden Director, the Education and Community Programs Intern will help to develop educational programs and events for multiple audiences, playing a leading role in our Lunchtime Wellness, Plant Adoption Day, Grandparents University, Amazing Sprouts, and Tour programs. The intern also will seek opportunities to engage with other institutions to leverage Garden resources with meaningful collaborations. In addition, volunteers play a crucial role in the ongoing development and maintenance of the gardens, and the intern will be expected to work with Garden volunteers on a regular basis.
Compensation and Schedule:
- Duration: May 16, 2022–August 12, 2022
- Compensation: $13/hour
- Schedule: Summer 2022: 30 hours/week with occasional weekend and evening hours; Part-time, March–May and August–October
- Plan and execute educational program offerings for UW-Madison community, UW-Madison students, and elementary-aged children
- Develop meaningful with local organizations and other UW departments
- Contribute to content for Allen Centennial Garden website, blog, and social media
- Work closely with Garden Director and Education Team to create compelling programs
- Assist in the planning and execution of special events to expose the Garden to new audiences
- Develop metrics to ensure effectiveness of educational offerings
- Lead tours with outside groups
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Education, public relations, horticulture, environmental studies, landscape architecture, hospitality, or other related major/discipline is preferred.
- Experience working with plants is an asset but not required
- Ability to work across organizational functions
- Ability to recognize and harness potential synergies, within the organization, across the institution and with external partners
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Collaborative style
- Willing to take hands-on approach where needed
- Available for evening and weekend events and programs as needed
- Ability to participate in event set-up, including lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to stand, or sit at a desk and computer, for extended periods of time
This list is not meant to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties, responsibilities and expectations that management may deem necessary from time to time.