|Employer||WI Public Radio|
|Apply by||February 25, 2021|
|Posted on||February 2, 2021|
The Executive Producer provides leadership for broadcast and digital content of Central Time, The Ideas Network’s afternoon call-in talk show. Heard weekdays from 3-6 p.m., the show covers a broad range of topics that engage audiences on air and online. This position leads a host and a team of producers, oversees the editorial flow of Central Time, serves as a liaison to the news and digital content departments, manages scheduling and produces content as needed. This person is an excellent communicator and problem-solver who works well on deadline. The Executive Producer is a visionary for finding strategies for growth, collaboration and partnerships to maximize our impact and reach. This position is part of The Ideas Network leadership team and reports to The Ideas Network Director. The person in this role will work remotely for the time being and will eventually work in our office in Madison, Wisconsin.
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Bachelor’s degree required, emphasis in journalism, communications or related field preferred.
Minimum Years and Type of Relevant Work Experience:
• Three years’ full-time experience in journalism.
• Experience leading a team, supporting team members with varying levels of experience.
• Superior communication skills, including excellent writing skills for broadcast and web.
• Proven ability to work in both independent and collaborative settings.
• Strong organizational skills, ability to work within tight deadlines and manage competing responsibilities.
• Demonstrated knowledge of journalism ethics, news-gathering and reporting techniques.
Not Required But Desirable Qualifications:
• Experience with live, call-in talk programming.
• Experience hosting and interviewing guests for broadcast programs.
• Knowledge and understanding of Wisconsin news, culture, issues and personalities.
• Experience with document sharing and virtual meeting software (e.g. Microsoft, Slack, Google, etc.)
• Ability to operate digital production software, control boards and audio recorders.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervise the production of broadcast and digital content from beginning to end.
• Lead daily editorial meetings, ensuring the right mix of topics, balanced coverage, guest diversity and a variety of perspectives.
• Develop long-range vision for Cental Time and facilitate regular retreats to discuss ongoing show development.
• Collaborate with other departments including news, digital and regional bureaus.
• Supervise the work of the host and producers on Central Time. Guide and inspire staff to grow professionally and continually improve their work, including mentoring junior staff. Delegate tasks effectively and produce content as needed.
• Evaluate show using a variety of metrics, including script review and airchecks. Provide feedback to content creators for the best possible product, on air and online.
• Maintain team schedules to assign work, ensure adequate coverage and meet all deadlines.
• Know, follow and contribute to WPR best practices and help your staff do the same.
• Other duties as assigned.
Instructions to Applicants:
Apply online at https://jobs.wisc.edu/ by 2/25/21. The job number is 231054. The following must be received for your application to be complete: 1) Resume and 2) A cover letter describing how your experience relates to the job duties and minimum and desirable qualifications.