|Apply by||Not specified|
|Posted on||April 2, 2021|
The Arizona Daily Star is seeking an experienced food reporter with a strong voice and conversational writing style to cover Tucson food and restaurants for the Star’s digital brand #ThisIsTucson. The Ideal candidate has strong storytelling and digital skills and can take photographs and short videos to accompany stories. She or he must understand national and local food trends, make connections with local chefs and restaurant-industry leaders, be able to quickly find and develop stories, and know how to cultivate and grow an audience using multi-platform content. Candidates must have published news reporting and writing experience.
- Works under the direction of a supervisor to develop story ideas and gather information in a fair and accurate manner through visiting restaurants, interviews with news sources, coverage of events, reading documents, analyzing data and other independent research.
- Visit Southern Arizona restaurants, bars and food trucks to try food and create stories that showcase the newest and best of the food scene her. This is not a critic position.
- Creates stories—in any medium that is appropriate (article, photo, video, social story, newsletter)—that conform to the rules of spelling, grammar and style, with a compelling lead and strong organization including a clear beginning, middle and end.
- Manages, maintains and launches innovative products such as newsletters and Instagram accounts that drive audience growth and engagement using product innovation tools and methods.
- Engages with readers on the #ThisIsTucson social platforms, at live events and through the membership program.
- Prefer a bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field and full-time experience or, at minimum, an internship writing for a news organization.
- Candidates who are bilingual in English and Spanish are preferred.
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and manager several tasks simultaneously.
The Daily Star in Tucson, Arizona is the only newspaper covering local breaking news. It has a tradition of serving the residents of Southern Arizona for over a century. As the home of the University of Arizona, Tucson is rich in cultural diversity and a commitment to educational excellence.
We offer competitive compensation and a full benefits package.
The Arizona Daily Star is a drug-free workplace and all applicants considered for employment must pass a post-offer drug screen and background/MVR check prior to commencing employment. We are in Equal Opportunity Employer.