|Apply by||June 7, 2023|
|Posted on||May 15, 2023|
PublicSource.org is seeking a reporter to cover health and mental health issues in the Pittsburgh region. The ideal candidate has the ambition and ability to build this critical beat and produce enterprise journalism combining people’s experiences with broader context and incisive looks at policies, programs and practices related to quality of life in our region. We are a collaborative newsroom dedicated to facts, excellence, diverse voices and the pursuit of transparency.
We’re looking for candidates who have:
- Interest in covering health and mental health issues.
- Passion for bringing trauma-informed and solutions-oriented approaches to journalism.
- Strong people skills and an affinity for working with others and building professional relationships.
- Adept interviewing skills: This reporter will need to talk to medical professionals, public officials, activists and community members, and be able to move back and forth easily between complex health matters, policy and people-focused stories.
- Ability to work independently under deadlines and juggle a variety of assignments.
- Some proficiency in working with data is preferred but not required.
- A dedication to broader team goals is a must. Our team collaborates on many levels, from producing strong visuals and developing promotion plans for our stories to evaluating audience engagement and hosting events.
The salary range for this position is $42,000-$46,000.
PublicSource has an office in Pittsburgh and operates in a hybrid work environment.
PublicSource offers paid vacation time leave and sick days, a 401(k) match, a health plan, competitive paid parental leave and professional development opportunities. PublicSource is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply, including but not limited to people of color, people who are LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities. To learn more about what it’s like to work with PublicSource, please visit this page. Are you interested? Applicants should apply using this form by June 7. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.