|St. Paul, MN
|February 12, 2024
- Hours: 40 hours per week (9:00 – 5:00pm)
- Location: St. Paul, MN (Hybrid)
- Start Date: June 10 – August 30, 2024
- Compensation: $18.00/hour
- Application deadline: Our goal is to fill this position at least 1 month prior to the start date. Application will be open until filled.
Intern, Digital – MPR News:
We are seeking a dynamic Digital Intern to join our public media newsroom, where our mission is to redefine the landscape of public media through innovative audience engagement strategies. As a key member of our team, you will play a vital role in shaping the future of public media by developing and implementing digital content and social media story telling campaigns designed to attract and retain a diverse and vibrant audiences across the state of Minnesota. You will work on projects that span across digital platforms, analyze web and social media metrics to inform our strategies, and contribute to the creation of compelling content. This position is perfect for a creative and analytical individual passionate about leveraging digital media to foster deep, meaningful connections with audiences and drive the evolution of public media.
Key Learning Goals:
- Using metrics and social listening to produce high-impact public service journalism
- Grow communication and collaboration skills working across groups in the newsroom
- Pitch stories that originate from audience needs
- Report stories across multiple platforms
- Tell stories and engage audiences using social video
- Eligible to accrue sick time off
- Eligible for health insurance as required under the ACA
- Eligible to participate in the APMG retirement plan
- 100% paid for onsite parking or public transportation
- Participate in robust on-boarding experience
- Professional development: on-the-job training, intercultural development assessment, formal performance review feedback sessions, etc.
- Participate in brown bag sessions to gain broader perspective of the organization
- Currently enrolled in and have completed one year of a 2–4-year undergraduate degree program OR are enrolled in a graduate degree program OR have earned a degree within the last 12 months
- Understanding of news ethics
- Effective use of social media
- Ability to collaborate with a team
- Use of social media to grow and engage an audience
- Experience reporting as part of a newsroom or similar environment
- Creative storytelling
Next Step in the Application:
In addition to your skills and knowledge, we want to get to know you in the application process. Please include a cover letter (of no more than 1 page) with answers to the following:
- What interests you about this internship?
- What professional skills would you like to add to your toolbox in the months and years to come to grow in your career field?
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Required to move about in the community.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level.
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
MacMillan Internship & Fellowship Program at MPR|APM
Minnesota Public Radio | American Public Media are grateful for the long-time, generous philanthropy of Whitney and Elizabeth MacMillan for investing in the future of public media through transformational internships and fellowships. Their recent grant will significantly strengthen our internship program, produce enriching programming, and prepare the next generation for careers in public media. We are pleased to recognize this generous support in the name of the program – the MacMillan Internship & Fellowship Program at MPR|APM.