|Employer||News 3 Now|
|Apply by||Deadline not specified - Apply ASAP!|
|Posted on||December 30, 2021|
News 3 Now/WISC-TV has an opportunity for an Investigative Reporter to join our investigative team with an eye on daily and in-depth coverage of one of America’s few battleground states. The News 3 Investigates mission is to hold public officials accountable for their actions while getting the answers that the public deserves. As a capitol city, in a swing state, an interest in government and political coverage is a must. This person will monitor new legislation and keep track of developing local and state political stories while building the sources and scrutiny needed to report in-depth enterprise stories on their beat. Supported by our investigative team, this role will mix daily coverage and long-term investigations, with a commitment to follow-ups and original angles to major stories that incorporate data and records.
News 3 Now produces more than 40 hours of television news a week, and we embrace coverage through our app, social, web site and streaming video channels resulting in a digital stronghold position in the market. The right candidate will innovate on TV as well as digital and social channels. We expect our coverage to meet consumers where they are and connect with them in convenient ways. You could do all of this while working for a family-owned company in one of America’s most livable cities. Madison is consistently ranked as one of the best places to raise a family, one of the best college sports towns, and one of the best places to live, period.
Since 1890, Morgan Murphy Media has been committed to quality journalism. We’ve been honored to win five national Edward R. Murrow Awards from the RTDNA in the past five years, including the top prize for overall excellence in 2016. We are searching for someone that also has an expectation of excellence.
What you’ll do:
• Create and present investigative and enterprise content with in-depth pieces for a TV Newsroom and digital platforms.
• Generate original story ideas with significant local impact.
• Contribute to our investigative content on all platforms working both as an MMJ or with a photographer depending on the assignment.
• Continue our successful Reality Check franchise holding political leaders accountable for their advertisements and statements.
• Contribute to our Sunday morning community affairs program, For the Record, with long-form discussions and conversations with community stakeholders.
• Coordinate with our Marketing and Promotions teams to generate interest in enterprise content.
• Embrace local news delivery through emerging platforms.
What you’ll bring:
• Minimum 3 years of experience in journalism, with previous investigative or political coverage experience preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to break stories in a highly competitive environment
• Ability to be an extremely organized, strategic thinker.
• Strong understanding of target audiences and TV promotion concepts
• Ability to file and follow-up on FOIA and public records
• Clear understanding of journalism ethics and laws as well as a journalist’s rights to records, information and access
• Four-year degree in journalism, communications or equivalent field required
• Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills
• Working knowledge of newsroom software, social media, camera equipment, and editing systems
What News 3 Now/WISC-TV offers:
• We’re a dynamic and progressive family-owned business that values our employees, our culture and our community
• Medical, dental, vision, prescription, life, and long-term disability insurance, EAP, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid time off (vacation, sick, personal, holidays)
We are an equal opportunity employer
Click here to apply online.
Deadline not specified—Apply ASAP!