|Apply by||April 8, 2022|
|Posted on||October 6, 2021|
GAIN PRACTICAL BROADCASTING EXPERIENCE AND SUPPORT BUDDING JOURNALISTS IN MALAWI
Here’s an exciting opportunity for journalism students or graduates to gain practical broadcasting experience in Malawi, and support budding Malawian journalists at the same time. You’ll be part of Developing Radio Partners, a nonprofit organization that works with African radio stations to effectively bring important messages to rural communities.
As an intern on this program, you’ll provide mentorship to young radio broadcasters who have not had much formal training. By working alongside them, and sharing your knowledge, you’ll help improve the quality of broadcasting at their local radio station. You’ll also gain some practical broadcasting experience by, together with the reporters you’re working with, finding and producing interesting stories.
This journalism internship will provide you with unique insights into the power radio has to improve lives of people in rural African settings.
– Practical experience in story development, interviewing, and production for radio broadcasting
– A comprehensive understanding of the role of radio in a rural African context
– Experience in providing journalism mentorship to young reporters
– Insight into the nonprofit sector
Developing Radio Partners believes radio can change minds and lives. Driven by this premise, this nonprofit organization uses the medium of radio to bring reliable and important information to rural communities in Africa. In partnership with local broadcasters in Zambia, Malawi, and Burkina Faso, Developing Radio Partners help disseminate information on issues such as environment, agriculture, health, and governance. The broadcasts offer ideas and facts that can bring easy-to-implement solutions to everyday challenges, and improve people’s lives in significant ways.
Working in a solution-focused way, the DRP team thoroughly researches the need of communities and its local radio stations, before developing skill-development programs in partnership with local journalists. Through weekly bulletins on relevant and practical topics, and by encouraging engagement through radio listening clubs, the right information reaches people who most need it.
Started in 2004 by one of the founders of National Public Radio in the United States, Developing Radio Partners is a well-established organization that has created tangible impact in many African communities.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do:
Your tasks during this internship will be somewhat tailored to your skills and experience, but they are likely to include the following;
– Provide mentoring to young reporters in Malawi and help them develop basic journalism skills
– Alongside young reporters, research stories and assist with production
– Assist with interviewing and writing copy for broadcasts
– Assist with digital audio editing
– Write monthly progress reports
The ideal candidate for this internship is a senior undergraduate or graduate student or recent graduate with a degree in journalism – preferably broadcast journalism.
– Strong communications and writing skills
– Some experience in broadcasting is ideal
– An openness to working in a culturally different environment
– Great research skills and an eye for good stories
– An ability to manage your time well and meet deadlines
– A passion for the organization’s mission
– A self-starter attitude
– Proficiency in Adobe Audition
Please keep in mind:
– This is a remote internship, so you can work from the comfort of your home.
– Start and end dates of the internship are flexible and will be discussed during the application process.
– During the internship you will be linked to a supervisor/mentor who you will most likely be in daily contact with.
– The internship with this non-profit is based on a voluntary work placement which means you are not receiving any remuneration.
– If you apply to this internship you will be contacted by Roots Interns as they handle all internship applications for this organization. Roots Interns will provide you with support to prepare you for your internship
– The fee for this remote internship is USD 475 (fixed fee)
For more information about Roots Interns, check out our website.
Application Deadline – April 8, 2022.