|Apply by||Not specified|
|Posted on||August 1, 2022|
Star Tribune offers 10-week paid summer internships in reporting, design, digital audience, editing and photo/video. We select talented, driven college and graduate students who can cover breaking news in the whirl of deadlines, as well as write enterprise stories. We expect our interns to come to us with skill and leave with polish and invaluable experience from a major-market newsroom.
Candidates for our internships must have experience covering a wide variety of events, in news, business, sports or features. You must have excellent content creation and communication skills, flexibility and the ability to handle daily deadline pressure. We value candidates who are proficient with web research and social media tools for newsgathering and distribution. Skills working with data are a plus.
We expect our reporting interns to:
- be proficient at their craft
- develop their own content ideas and run hard at the assignments we give them
- work collaboratively and effectively with editors, photographers and reporters to provide substantive news stories
- have excellent time-management skills and work quickly and calmly under deadline pressure
- have a valid driver’s license
- conduct themselves in a professional manner.
Your application should include:
- A note about your preferred craft and department
- A link to a portfolio including your best published pieces to demonstrate your journalistic ability
- A letter telling us what skills you’d bring to the position and why you want to be a journalist.
The internship term will be early June to early August. As Star Tribune is a seven-day publication, shifts may include weekends and evenings. You must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or granted an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief. The Star Tribune is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace, and it encourages qualified applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
Questions? Email Colleen Stoxen, Deputy Managing Editor, email@example.com.