|Employer||The News and Observer|
|Apply by||November 30, 2020, 8am|
|Posted on||October 5, 2020|
Join The News & Observer, an award-winning news organization in Raleigh, N.C., this summer as a paid intern and gain practical education and professional experience — while working with some of the best journalists in the business.
Our interns are a vital part of our news organizations. We value them, and the skills and energy they bring to our newsrooms. Our goals:
- Train aspiring journalists in the principles and rigors of their desired profession.
- Bring new voices to our newsroom to give us fresh perspectives.
- Put you to work. You’ll write stories, shoot photos and videos and create engaging social media content.
The program works like this:
- Internships are full-time, 10 weeks. The schedule may include evening and weekend hours. Interns do not work on holidays.
- Interns earn $500 per week for the 10-week summer internship.
- The internship is open to sophomores, rising/current juniors and seniors and graduating seniors. Interns must currently be enrolled in a four-year degree program or have recently graduated.
- Each intern is assigned an editor and a mentor. These staffers will oversee your work, guide you, work with you on perfecting your journalism, help solve problems and navigate the newsroom.
- This is not considered a remote position. But accommodations could be made depending on coronavirus conditions.
Qualifications should include:
- A collaborative work ethic and a strong desire to learn.
- Deep curiosity, healthy skepticism and the drive to find answers.
- Solid news judgment, accuracy and high ethical standards.
- Understanding of the professional use of social media in news-gathering and audience development.
- Quick study of technology and tools used in news-gathering.
- Experience working at a college publication, either print or online, is preferred.
- A previous internship or freelance experience is a plus.
How to apply
Important – candidates must include the following:
- A one-page cover letter that summarizes why you want to be an intern in our newsroom.
- Resume that includes links to your public social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram).
- Links to a samples of your work. If available: Personal website or portfolio.
- At least two references.
The deadline is Monday, November 30 at 9 a.m., but we encourage you to apply early.
Note: Many McClatchy newsrooms in the U.S. will hire interns for 2021. If you’re interested in applying to a different newsroom, keep checking mcclatchy.com/careers for additional job postings.
McClatchy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) for all applicants and employees. McClatchy considers all candidates without regard to basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, medical condition, family care status, pregnancy or physical disability (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), or any other basis protected by state and federal laws.