|Location||Madison, WI | Remote|
|Apply by||March 22, 2023|
|Posted on||February 22, 2023|
The PBS Wisconsin Next Generation Public Media Fellowship is designed for early career journalists or near graduates of a two – or – four year college program. A degree is not required for this position. PBS Wisconsin hopes to attract early career producers from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in public media to the industry. The successful candidate will work with PBS Wisconsin in the area of media production and video/visual storytelling for broadcast and digital platforms. The Fellowship is a full-time, two-year experience (with an opportunity to adjust hours in the first year to accommodate class schedules for those in their final year of college).
PBS Wisconsin’s mission is to boldly enrich, educate and entertain diverse audiences of children and adults through the innovative use of television production and broadcasting, other communication technologies and community engagement. We provide access to local and national content, extending its reach and impact in the communities we serve, and reach over 1.4 million households in the state of Wisconsin.
The Next Generation Fellow will receive close supervision and coaching as a professional video storyteller and public media producer, increasingly receiving more project responsibility as professional growth is demonstrated.
Responsibilities: Develops and produces content and production materials in one or more areas for programming. Assists in developing, coordinating, and directing the production strategy and process.
• 15% Researches and develops production strategy for one or more programs across broadcast and digital platforms
• 25% Produces, develops, and edits content that may include identifying topics, themes, guests, conducting pre-interviews and/or interviews, writing, and/or integrating content for multimedia platforms
• 20% Performs daily operational activities for live and pre-recorded content, and may direct the editorial and creative process of production activities
• 20% Collaborates with other content creators in pre- to post-production processes, prepares materials, and handles logistics for broadcast and/or digital publications
• 5% Maintains familiarity with studio equipment and/or applicable technology for production
• 5% May schedule and direct operational activities for content production, including live/recorded studio or field productions
• 10% Conceptualizes, designs, and creates animations, motion graphics, and/or live broadcast graphics for multimedia projects through storytelling, design and animation principles using photography, video, infographics, and kinetic technology.
• Experience as a video producer. Experience gained during student jobs or intensive hands-on classes will be considered.
• Creative video storytelling skills combined with editorial judgment. This is defined by the ability to engage in research and production on original creative topics for story and project development.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail when creating and reviewing content.
• Very strong oral and written communication skills, including experience in collaborative settings.
• Must be available to work weekdays, some evenings and weekends as needed, with ability to travel – with occasional overnights – for work.
• Experience with videography and editing, including Adobe Premiere or equivalent software, Adobe After Effects and motion graphics.
• Experience with social media and web distribution.
• Demonstrates creative expertise for visual storytelling, motion graphics and animation through timing, editing, movement, design, typography and animation principles.
• Experience telling stories depicting a diverse range of populations.
Click here to apply online.
Application Deadline—March 22, 2023.