|Apply by||October 23, 2020 at 5 PM Pacific time|
|Posted on||September 22, 2020|
As part of the news editor team, this position assigns and edits digital and radio stories for news reporters, including in breaking news situations. The News Editor supervises and leads a team of beat reporters, guiding their reporting and editing their stories from idea to final product on multiple platforms. The News Editor takes daily editorial direction from the VP, News, and closely collaborates with other editors, the Executive Editor for Talk and Podcasts and other content teams. They monitor social media and other sources for story ideas and breaking news and play a leading role in OPB’s efforts to become the region’s most trusted primary news source.
The editor’s schedule will largely correspond to the reporters they supervise. Most work will be done Monday through Friday, though some evening and weekend work should be expected. Most work is done in an office, studio or other indoor location with extended periods working at a computer. There is occasional local or regional travel required to ensure coverage.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or a related field, or equivalent combination of experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position.
• Experience in a daily newsroom environment.
• Experience developing a story from idea to final product.
• Ability to recognize a wide range of stories appropriate for OPB across radio and digital platforms.
• Share OPB’s commitment to covering all the communities in our coverage areas reflecting a diverse range of people and perspectives in our content.
• Ability to work with digital audio workstations and office computer software, such as Microsoft Office, Google docs, etc.
• Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB and for the role of public media in a changing journalism environment.
• Supervisory experience in a daily news environment.
• Experience editing audio stories, or a proven ability to learn audio editing skills.
• A voracious news consumer with a passion for journalism.
• Knowledge of major stories and issues in the Northwest.
• Ability to speak and read a second language, preferably one spoken in communities in the Pacific Northwest.
Click here to apply online.
Application Deadline—October 23, 2020 at 3:00 p.m. CST.