|Employer||UW-Madison, Center for Limnology|
|Location||Vilas County, WI|
|Apply by||February 15, 2023|
|Posted on||January 24, 2023|
Description: We seek an undergraduate research student to organize, promote and perform science communication activities for the Center for Limnology’s (CFL) field station at Trout Lake Station (TLS) in Vilas County, WI.
Having students with different life experiences and backgrounds is critical to ensure the exchange of diverse ideas that is called for in training tomorrow’s scientists. Because we are actively working to increase diversity and inclusivity in our discipline, underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
- Help faculty and staff organize informational activities for the general public throughout the summer, including our annual open house.
- Discuss scientific results with staff of TLS and help explain those findings to the general public in oral presentations, press releases and brochures, as well as digital media platforms like the CFL blog, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Serve as the liaison between local media outlets and station staff.
- Design and implement a personal outreach project with input from TLS staff.
- Preference given to UW-Madison students
- Enthusiastic approach to explaining science to the general public
- Excellent writing and communication skills for creating press releases, brochures, and other mass communication products
- Good organizational skills for scheduling and carrying out public information events
- Knowledge and interest in ecology (preferably lake ecology), invasive species, and the outdoors
- Enthusiasm for observing fieldwork and sharing experiences
- Background in journalism, life science communication, education, graphic design, or related fields is preferred, but not required
- Familiarity with web page development and social media platforms is preferred, but not required
- Valid driver’s license which meets UW Risk Management standards
- Number of positions: 1
- Start date: mid/late May 2023
- End date: mid/late August 2023
- Pay: $7,100 for the summer
- This position is located at the CFL’s Trout Lake Station in Boulder Junction, WI in northern Wisconsin. Dormitory style housing (not food) is provided free of charge. Enjoy swimming, hiking, fishing, biking and shoreline campfires while gaining valuable research experience!
How to Apply:
- Application link
- NOTE: After application is submitted, email Amber Mrnak and Gretchen Gerrish a supplemental document showing an example of your writing for the public. This should be emailed by the priority deadline of February 15th, or at the time of application.
- Priority consideration deadline: February 15, 2023
- We accept applications until all positions are filled.
- Indicate preference for Science Communication Intern-Trout Lake Station on your application and contact Amber Mrnak if you have any questions.
The CFL is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to an inclusive and positive working environment for all.