|Employer||Milwaukee Journal Sentinel|
|Location||Milwaukee, WI/Madison, WI|
|Apply by||December 12, 2022|
|Posted on||November 11, 2022|
The University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Journalism & Mass Communication invites nominations and applications for the 2023 Sharon Stark Investigative Internship. This program will place one undergraduate or graduate student in a full-time, paid, 12-week summer internship with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, winner of three Pulitzer Prizes. The internship could be located in either Madison or Milwaukee, depending on the student’s interest and expertise.
An intern with an interest in politics and government could be placed at the news organization’s bureau in Madison, where they would report on government accountability issues, including covering the Legislature, breaking news and investigations.
An intern with a strong interest and ability in investigative reporting could be placed at the Journal Sentinel’s Milwaukee headquarters, reporting on quick-turn investigations. Interns in Milwaukee would also be part of a standing weekly rotation covering crime and general assignment and contribute to other work the investigative team pursues.
The stipend of $6,000 is generously underwritten by SJMC alumna Sharon Stark, a strong supporter of investigative journalism as one of the most important and essential roles in the profession.
Successful applicants will be:
· undergraduate or master’s students in the School of Journalism & Mass Communication
· interested in investigative and/or government accountability journalism
· familiar with the work of the Journal Sentinel’s investigative and political teams
· hard-working and open to all kinds of reporting and writing assignments
· outstanding in gathering, judging and relaying information
· seeking a career in reporting for a news organization
Application package must include:
· cover letter
· three (and only three) of your best news clips
· one paragraph detailing an issue or idea you believe would be worth an investigation
· Please specify if you have a strong interest in the Madison or Milwaukee internship, or if you would like to be considered for both locations.
· All applications must be submitted here.
· All applications must be received no later than Monday, December 12, 2022.
· An initial screening committee will review applications before finalists are invited to Milwaukee or Madison for a formal interview.
· Address any questions to Pam Garcia-Rivera at firstname.lastname@example.org.