|Employer||UW-Madison | College of Letters and Sciences|
|Apply by||March 1, 2021|
|Posted on||February 23, 2021|
The SOAR academic advising components will be 100% online/virtual for Summer 2021. Peer advisors are not required to live in Madison, Wisconsin, but must have reliable access to internet and a working space to conduct private video meetings. Peer advisors may request a loaner laptop for work duties as needed.
Applicants MUST be able to attend ALL training and SOAR sessions. All work is weekdays only, between 8:00am-5:00pm U.S. Central Time, approximately 20-25 hours per week. Peer advisors typically work 25 hours per week. Work hours will be scheduled in advance and may vary from week to week.
Summer classes, second jobs, or other major commitments cannot conflict with summer staffing dates and work time. They must be disclosed and approved by the supervisors prior to accepting the employment offer.
A schedule for SOAR and Training is being finalized. Dates will be shared with candidates during the interview process. Tentative Schedule:
• Training dates: 2 weeks during late May/early June 2021. Ongoing training will be offered throughout the summer.
• SOAR Dates: Early June-late August 2021
• Will have completed at least 2 semesters of undergraduate education by the end of the Spring 2021 semester, with at least 1 semester at UW-Madison
• Continuing student status for the Fall 2021 semester
• Declared or intending to declare a major in L&S
• A commitment to welcoming all students and building an inclusive UW-Madison community
• To be considered for the Honors peer advisor position, applicants must be members of the L&S Honors Program (pursuing Honors in the Liberal Arts and/or Honors in the Major) in good standing
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• The ability to work with students with diverse identities, backgrounds, and experiences
• Willingness to learn, ask questions, and seek information
• Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities
• Detail-oriented and organization skills
• Strong interpersonal and listening skills
L&S SOAR peer advisors work independently and collaboratively with professional advising staff to provide new students with an academic orientation to the College of Letters & Science. This position offers the opportunity to learn more about higher education while gaining interpersonal, leadership, teamwork, problem solving, and presentation skills.
Following an in-depth training period, peer advisors will split their time between direct student contact and completing administrative/logistical tasks to support daily SOAR operations:
• Use Canvas, e-mail, and video conferencing tools to support new first-year and transfer students in individual and small group meetings
• Provide information and answer questions about L&S degree requirements, course selection, and enrollment tools (i.e. Course Search & Enroll, Student Center)
• Track and document student information and progress in administrative databases
• Share information about co-curricular life and student involvement at UW-Madison
• Participate in ongoing training on academic content and advising skills
• Complete additional projects as assigned to support advising operations
Click here for the full job description and learn how to apply.
Application Deadline—March 1, 2021.