|Employer||Society of Professional Journalists|
|Location||Las Vegas, NV (short term)|
|Apply by||June 30, 2023|
|Posted on||May 10, 2023|
Application process starts: Monday, May 1, 2023
Application deadline: Friday, June 30, 2023, 11:59 PM EST
Students selected will be notified no later than Monday, July 31
Preference will be given to 2023 graduates.
Through The SPJ News, the Society of Professional Journalists prepares the next generation of storytellers and truth seekers. Ten student journalists will be selected to cover presentations and events at the SPJ national convention, #SPJ23 in Las Vegas. Their work will be published on The #SPJNews23 digital site, https://thespjnews.org/
The SPJ News team includes three professional journalists who serve as mentors and guide the students during the convention. The program gives student journalists the opportunity to cover sessions, panels, keynote speakers and other events at the convention.
The SPJ News participants will cover stories and enjoy opportunities to network with other students and professionals. Student journalists will also be required to share their stories on their social media platforms using the hashtag #SPJNews23.
Applicants should be student journalists who can produce videos and audio segments, shoot photos and write digital stories in real-time. The more you can do the better. In your application, show us how you can use social media platforms to report the news. AP Style is required, and if you already use it in your reporting, let us know on your application.
WHAT YOU GET IF YOU’RE SELECTED FOR THE SPJ NEWS:
- A complimentary registration for the conference, including tickets to the SPJ President’s awards banquet.
- Hotel accommodations for four nights at the conference hotel. You will be rooming with one other student.
- Some food may be supplied.
APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SPJ NEWS:
- Must be a current undergraduate or graduate student majoring in journalism or a related communications field.
- Must be available Tuesday, Sept 26, 2023 (travel day) through Saturday, Sept 30, 2023 (travel day to go home).
- Must be a student member of SPJ (join if you’re not already a member).
- Former SPJ News participants are not eligible to apply.
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS NEED THE FOLLOWING:
- To pay part of their transportation to #MediaFest23. We help with $100.
- A laptop for assignments.
- A Smartphone to shoot photos and video.
- Feel free to bring other tools to cover the news: cameras, tripods, and audio recorders.
- Complete the application.
- Submit a cover letter with the application. Tell us why you want to be part of The SPJ News team.
- Submit a resume with the application. Show off your newsgathering skills and passion for the craft.
- Submit two recommendation letters from any of the following: Professors, internship supervisors, college advisers, student media supervisor — someone who knows your work and commitment to journalism.
- Provide links to three samples of your best work. It can include photos, videos, audio clips and/or digital news stories. Show off your best work! Files can be uploaded if not available online.
- Provide your social media handles: Twitter Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, others.
Click here to apply online. Please be ready to upload your resume, cover letter, one recommendation letter and up to three samples of (or links to) multimedia content you have written and/or produced.
Please note that applications without a resume, cover letter and samples will not be considered.