|Employer||Sports Journalism Institute|
|Apply by||Deadline not specified—Apply ASAP!|
|Posted on||September 10, 2020|
The Sports Journalism Institute helps women and minority students who are interested in sports writing. These students attend a bootcamp training with the Missouri School of Journalism and are set up with paid summer internships with major newspapers and news organizations throughout the United States.
Leading the Way:
The Sports Journalism Institute works with the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ), the Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) and the National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ). Our funders and partners include Associated Press Sports Editors, MLB.com, Disney, and the University of Missouri School of Journalism. Our graduates work in print, digital and television outlets around the country.
The experience includes:
• Eight weeks of professional experience at a paid internship in the sports department of a newsroom
• A $500 scholarship upon successful completion of the profram for students returning to college
Ten student journalists will be selected. Ideally, applicants should be college sophomores or juniors. Candidates will be selected on the basis of academic achievement, demonstrated interest in sports journalism as a career and excellence on the required essay.
Eligibility is not limited to journalism majors.
Applicants should submit the following items:
• A current college transcript
• Two letters of recommendation
• A professional-style photo (head shot)
• A maximum of seven writing samples, all scanned into one singular PDF
• An essay of no more than 500 words stating why he or she should be selected
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Click here to read more about the SJI program and apply online.
Deadline not specified—Apply ASAP!