|Employer||American Society of Magazine Editors|
|Location||New York City, NY|
|Apply by||December 1, 2020|
|Posted on||September 29, 2020|
Applicants must complete their junior year before June 2021 and expect to graduate in June 2022. Only full-time students with a grade point average of at least 3.0 will be considered for an internship. Your application must include:
• A one-page cover letter (addressed to Sidney Holt, Executive Director, ASME) explaining why you are interested in magazine journalism; why you want to participate in the Magazine Internship Program; and why you are qualified to be an ASME intern. The selection committee wants to know how your course of study has prepared you to be an ASME intern and how you plan to use the skills and insights you gain from participation in the Magazine Internship Program not only to advance your career but to benefit the publications where you work your senior year
• A one-page letter of recommendation from an educator who can attest to your abilities and experience
• A one-page letter of recommendation from an intern supervisor or employer who can attest to your abilities and experience
• A current resume
• No more than 10 clips from a college newspaper or magazine or from a newspaper or magazine where you have interned or worked that demonstrate reporting skills as well as an interest in and knowledge of a range of topics
• A nonrefundable processing fee of $40
Students recommended for the Magazine Internship Program by academic departments or career-guidance offices should include one-paragraph letters of nomination in their applications.
Besides overall academic performance, criteria used to select ASME interns include:
• Academic training in journalism (but students shouldn’t be afraid to apply for an ASME internship if their school doesn’t offer journalism courses or if they’re not majoring in journalism)
• Experience in campus journalism, preferably as a reporter or editor on a newspaper, magazine or website
• Previous internships or employment at city, regional or national newspapers, magazines or websites
Download the Magazine Internship Program 2021 one-sheet.
Applications for the Magazine Internship Program 2021 must be submitted on asmeinternship.org.
The nonrefundable processing fee can be paid online, or you can mail a check to American Society of Magazine Editors.
Applicants will be notified by email of the selection committee’s decision in March 2021.
The deadline to apply is December 1, 2020.