|Apply by||November 13, 2020|
|Posted on||September 15, 2020|
The Virginian-Pilot is seeking paid interns to work in our newsrooms in summer 2021.
Interns can work throughout our company, from The Pilot to the Daily Press in Newport News to the Virginia Gazette in Williamsburg, or other publications from the Outer Banks to Richmond.
The Pulitzer Prize-winning Virginian-Pilot is the largest newspaper in Virginia, and our newsrooms feature award-winning journalists eager to help you learn. Our coverage area includes many cities, miles of beaches, the world’s largest Navy base and more.
Interns are treated as regular newsroom staff members, learning on the job and helping to produce Virginia’s best news coverage.
Reporting: Produce a regular and compelling mix of stories, including news and features. Expected to be adept at reporting, use of social media and video reporting.
Videography/photography: Cover one or more assignments a day; produce video and still photos. Should be able to capture compelling images that tell a story with accuracy and authenticity, and to gather accurate caption information.
Audience team: Connect with our audiences through social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Create compelling packages of content for online; create basic multimedia graphics and work with reporters and editors across the newsroom.
Data journalist: Have a nose for computer-assisted reporting and storytelling? The Virginian-Pilot is working with the Dow Jones Newspaper Fund to find a data journalism intern for the summer. Apply through the DJNF.
• Write or perform job precisely and accurately.
• Meet deadlines.
• Collaborate with editors and other team members on stories and story brainstorming.
• Applicants must have a car. Travel for news coverage as required. We reimburse mileage.
• Must be enrolled at time of application in a degree-granting program at an accredited college or university, or be a recent graduate within the past 6 months.
• Experience working at a college publication, either print or online.
• A previous internship or freelance experience at a daily newspaper or professional news website.
Click here to learn how to apply.
Application Deadline—November 13, 2020.