|Location||Chicago, New York City, Indianapolis, Detroit, and National bureaus|
|Apply by||December 6, 2021|
|Posted on||October 26, 2021|
Come join us! We’re looking for education journalism interns for our Chicago, New York City, Indianapolis, Detroit, and National bureaus and our data desk.
Are you a motivated undergraduate or graduate student interested in telling stories about education in America? Come intern with us at Chalkbeat, where you’ll spend 10 paid weeks covering the effort to improve U.S. schools for all children, especially for students who have historically lacked access to a quality education.
As a reporting intern, you will:
- Work a hands-on 40-hour week alongside some of the nation’s top education journalists. You’ll choose which 10 weeks you’ll work based on your college schedule.
- Reporting interns write daily stories on deadline, with editing from top-notch story editors.
- Hone your writing and interview skills.
- Incorporate data journalism, polls, and social engagement.
As a data intern, you will:
- Build out custom graphics for reporters in D3 and Datawrapper.
- Perform reporting and analysis tasks for stories, such as geospatial merges, joining tables, and producing aggregate numbers.
- Contribute to at least one large-format enterprise storytelling project.
- Learn to think about data in an empathetic, community-first team environment.
All interns will:
- Attend weekly skills-building sessions.
- Become an integral part of a dynamic, diverse newsroom.
- Receive a cell phone stipend, two vacation days, and financial assistance for housing and relocation if needed.