|Apply by||December 9, 2022|
|Posted on||October 18, 2022|
Are you a motivated undergraduate or graduate student interested in telling stories about education in America? Come intern with us at Chalkbeat, where you’ll spend 10 paid weeks covering the effort to improve U.S. schools for all children, especially for students who have historically lacked access to a quality education.
As a data intern, you’ll work as a full contributor to our data team, working side by side with reporters, editors, and other data journalists on tasks like:
- Analyzing education data sets like enrollment, COVID vaccination, school budgets, and more.
- Building graphics to accompany Chalkbeat stories, either in Datawrapper or our D3-based templates based on the NPR Dailygraphics Rig.
- Learn to think about data in an empathetic, community-first team environment.
- Work on at least one large-format enterprise story.
- Write scrapers and processing scripts to extract data and make it more accessible for our newsroom.
- Attend virtual weekly skills-building sessions with the reporting, engagement, and marketing interns.
- Become an integral part of a dynamic, diverse newsroom.
What kind of stories will I tell?
You’ll mostly work on daily news. Here are some of the data visualization our 2022 intern produced.
- How the COVID-19 pandemic is changing school data
- As fewer kids enroll, big cities face a small schools crisis
- Philly boosts Black and Hispanic enrollment in top schools, Chalkbeat analysis shows
Cover letters are not required, but please include with your application any of the following portfolio materials that you might have available:
- A GitHub account or portfolio site that you believe represents your work
- Links to previous published data stories, in either professional or student outlets
- Data visualizations you’ve worked on for publication or for class assignment, including Datawrapper, Flourish, or Observable
- A writeup or documentation for a story that you worked on
Selected applicants will be asked to complete a set of questions ahead of time for a phone or video interview. This interview will last 20-30 minutes, and you’ll have a chance to ask us any questions you might have about the position, or about Chalkbeat. Finalists will be asked to meet additional members of our team and provide references.
What skills do I need to have?
- Journalism is your calling. You love tracking down information, synthesizing it, and sharing it with readers.
- You’re interested in social issues, public policy, and diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- You’re eager for feedback and enjoy collaborating.
- You’re flexible, creative, energetic, thoughtful, and tenacious.
- You know how to convey information clearly and concisely and meet your deadlines.
What education and prior experience do I need to have?
- The internship is open to current college undergraduate and grad students or students who have just graduated from either.
- We do require some high school, college, or freelance journalism experience. You need to submit three examples of data work that demonstrates your skills.
- You do not have to be a journalism major.
- A demonstrable interest in public education and DEI.
Will the internship be onsite or remote?
Our data team is informally based in Chicago, but you can be anywhere within the U.S.
I’m not a U.S. citizen. Can I still apply?
Yes, if you are physically in the U.S. for the internship. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and must complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Do I need to have a car? What about a laptop?
No car needed.
If you do not have a laptop, we will provide one.
What does it pay?
- The hourly rate is $19-20, depending on where you live.
- Interns receive a onetime $100 cell phone reimbursement, two paid vacation days, and financial assistance for housing and relocation if needed.
- Chalkbeat offers paid days off for Juneteenth and the Fourth of July.
How do I apply? What’s the deadline?
To complete our 2023 Internship application, please complete the questions below. The deadline is Dec. 9, 2022.
When will I know if I got it?
We will begin interviewing finalists in January 2023 and will let you know by February 10, 2023.
I have more questions. Whom do I ask?
Happy to answer them! Email Thomas Wilburn at firstname.lastname@example.org.