|Employer||American Public Media|
|Apply by||February 24, 2023|
|Posted on||January 23, 2023|
Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and cultural bonds that unite Southern California’s diverse communities by providing the highest quality news and information service on air at 89.3 KPCC, online at LAist.com and through KPCC Live Programming & Events. Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing, innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious communities to one another.
Our internships are opportunities for college students or recent graduates to learn the real-world demands of working in an award-winning public media newsroom. We aim to provide a meaningful experience for the intern and SCPR and are seeking interns interested in radio news production, talk shows, data journalism, community engagement, podcasting, and digital news.
We’ll be hiring for a 12-week stint, with an anticipated June 2023 start date.
Your internship could be in one of these key areas:
–Newscast or Shows –Interns in these areas would assist with reporting, research, and production of these programs. They may also contribute to websites. Applicants for the news category should have experience in radio production and include samples of their on-air work.
–Digital –interns in this area can expect to write articles and learn about online audiences via production, headline writing and metrics analytics.
–Community Engagement– interns in this area would support KPCC/LAist’s engaged journalism approach.
–Podcasts-interns in this area would assist LAist Studios with research and production on podcasts.
Application Deadline: February 24, 2023 (5:00pm PT)
Compensation:The pay rate for this opportunity will be $18.66 per hour.
Position Responsibility, depending on role:
- Learn and perform various tasks, including production, reporting, interviewing, writing, recording and cutting tape.
- Assist with research of story ideas/segment concepts.
- Find and pitch ideas for stories/segments.
- Write content for web.
- Conduct pre-interviews for on-air guests and book interviews.
- Assist reporters or producers in deep-dive projects, including data analysis and document review.
- Report and produce stories for newscasts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Current college student or recent graduate (within 12 months).
- Experience in a journalism environment.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities, depending on role:
- Strong writing, editing, research and communication skills.
- Ability to manage several different projects at once.
- Ability to manage daily workload efficiently (good time management skills).
- Ability to meet deadlines as assigned.
- Ability to pitch original story ideas.
- Knowledge of AP Style.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and a CMS.
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of broadcasting.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Interest in a journalism career
- Ability to conceive of, pitch, and execute compelling radio and web stories
- Familiarity with the values, sound of public radio
- Some experience working in a broadcast or newsroom environment
- Knowledge of digital editing technologies
Reporting to This Position:N/A
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Must be available to work 12 weeks starting in June 2023.
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level