|Employer||USA TODAY NETWORK|
|Apply by||Deadline not specified - Apply ASAP!|
|Posted on||April 21, 2022|
TCPalm/Treasure Coast Newspapers, tcpalm.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter to cover underserved communities. The primary goal is to effect change by exposing problems and suggesting solutions in daily news stories as well as deeper analyses, enterprise and investigative reporting. The secondary goal is to balance that coverage with news, brites and features about positive happenings and improvements in these communities, and the people responsible for them. T
The beat includes physical communities such as Fellsmere, Gifford, Indiantown, Northwest Fort Pierce, East Stuart, Golden Gate as well as non-physical groups such as veterans, homeless, immigrants, LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities. This reporter must love being out of the office, working in these communities and interacting with people as much as possible to develop sources, be our newsroom liaison and find the stories that fall through the cracks of our other beats. Spanish speakers are a plus.
This reporter also produces mainstream community brites that generate new digital subscriptions, and is responsible for some light clerical/administrative tasks that support the newsroom.
The ideal candidate is: an independent self-starter who excels at building a beat; a charismatic charmer who wins the trust of difficult and long-neglected sources; a meticulous fact-checker who verifies claims through public records; a solid journalist who quickly produces stories that are well-reported, written and organized; and a good time manager who deftly juggles short, medium and long-range stories.
Knowledge of SEO and data reporting/visualization, or the ability to self teach those skills, are a plus.
• A bachelor’s or master’s in communications, journalism or a related field
• This is an entry-level position, but some experience in a digital-first newsroom is preferred.
• Strong skills in spelling, grammar, AP style, communication, news judgment, headline writing
• Ability to produce photos and videos on a smartphone, and graphics such as Infogram
• Proficiency on social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, etc.
• Being comfortable branding yourself and promoting your content
• Ability to multitask under deadline pressure and work efficiently and collaboratively.
• An acceptance and understanding of how digital analytics inform our coverage, and a willingness to evaluate how content is resonating with our audience and to change what’s not.
• Working nights, weekends and holidays as needed
• Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and minimum state-required liability insurance
• Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
Click here for details on how to apply.
Deadline not specified—Apply ASAP!