|Apply by||Not specified|
|Posted on||December 21, 2021|
In order to restore trust and accountability in media, we need to build trust in NewsGuard among news consumers from a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives.
That’s why we’re committed to creating a team that is diverse and inclusive in every way possible—one that brings a breadth of different experiences, beliefs and perspectives to the table. We aim to hire journalists from a range of racial and ethnic backgrounds, political perspectives, geographical origins, gender identities, and more. NewsGuard is an equal opportunity employer.
Our ideal candidate values accuracy, fairness, and journalistic rigor.
We look for candidates who…
- Bring reporting experience. If you want to join the NewsGuard team, be ready to demonstrate that you have the skill and experience to interview sources, conduct research, find primary-source documents, communicate professionally, and avoid bias.
- Call for comment. NewsGuard’s rating process goes beyond just reading and researching sites online. Journalists at NewsGuard know how to be persistent and even dogged, calling sources for comment multiple times if needed. This journalistic approach keeps our ratings as fair and accurate as possible and often results in publishers making improvements to their credibility or transparency practices.
- Strive for fairness. Rating and reviewing news and information sites means encountering a wide range of topics, worldviews and political perspectives. Candidates seeking to join NewsGuard’s team must be committed to treating every site fairly, basing its rating on NewsGuard’s nine journalistic criteria and rating system and nothing else.
- Leave politics at the door. At NewsGuard, we seek to keep politics out of the equation and assess each site based on its journalistic practices. This means avoiding both real and perceived bias. As a NewsGuard analyst, you will need to sign a strict ethics and conflict of interests policy and avoid anything that might create even the perception of bias, such as intemperate social media postings or partisan political activities.
- Adapt and learn. NewsGuard is a startup and a frontrunner in the creation of a new industry—the Cyber Trust industry. NewsGuard team members should be adaptable, ready for change, and eager to contribute new ideas for how we can continue to innovate and improve.
Want to join the team? Submit a resume and cover letter.
Learn more about the roles for which we are seeking applicants below:
- Senior Staff Reporter, Media and Misinformation: Join NewsGuard’s team as a senior analyst/reporter rating and reviewing news sources and reporting on trends in digital news and online misinformation. Learn more.
- Staff Reporter, Media and Misinformation: Join NewsGuard’s team as an analyst rating and reviewing news sources and reporting on trends in digital news and online misinformation. Learn more.
- Contributing Reporter, Media and Misinformation: Join NewsGuard’s team as a freelance contributing analyst rating and reviewing news sources. Learn more.
- Intern: Work with NewsGuard’s team of award-winning journalists and editors to report and write ratings of news and information sites using NewsGuard’s rating process. Learn more.
- Broadcast Journalism Internship: Assist in the development of a new broadcast-oriented service, built around NewsGuard’s established rating processes. Learn more.
We will be seeking additional team members for additional reporting and editing roles in the future. Interested applicants should feel free to send a resume and cover letter through NewsGuard’s application form. We’ll be in touch if a role opens up that matches your skills and experience.