|Employer||Green Lake Association|
|Location||Green Lake, WI|
|Apply by||November 21, 2018|
|Posted on||November 6, 2018|
The Green Lake Association (GLA) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1951 that focuses its entire mission on improving the water quality of Big Green Lake, the deepest natural inland lake in Wisconsin. We implement conservation practices, outreach programs and lake research to protect this incredible resource. The GLA has recently expanded our staff and scope to meet the challenge of our mission.
The GLA is a small shop with passionate staff. We currently have two full-time staff members – an Executive Director and a Development Manager – with an immediate opening for a Communication Manager. The Communication Manager will generate compelling content that tells our story, as detailed below. This position will report to the Executive Director and requires occasional attendance of weekend and/or evening events with advance notice.
This is a full-time opportunity with compensation commensurate with experience. The GLA’s retirement program offers a 100% match up to 3% salary contributions. We also offer $350/month for medical reimbursement.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Communication and Outreach (70%)
– Communicate with members, colleagues, partner organizations and the Board of Directors in a way that maintains credibility, trust and support.
– Implement a communication strategy and an accompanying calendar that bridges the gap between our good work and a compelling story for our donors.
– Generate credible content for the annual newsletter and the annual report, and coordinate design and printing logistics with a graphic designer.
– Grow engagement through e-blasts, social media content and press releases about mission-related topics and events.
– Work with the Development Manager to design and coordinate printing for our membership and year-end giving campaigns.
– Give presentations to local groups and serve as a resource for lake-related inquiry.
– Maintain and generate content for the GLA’s website.
Event Coordination (15%)
– Coordinate all logistics of the annual gala fundraiser and a handful of other smaller events each year.
– Cultivate relationships with major donors, per guidance of the Executive Director.
Volunteer Management (10%)
– Cultivate our volunteer programs, including our growing Citizen Scientist effort.
– Maintain our event calendar, including several Green Team events in collaboration with our partners.
Executive Support (5%)
– Work closely and effectively with the Executive Director on various administrative and executive tasks.
– Bachelor’s degree in related fields, which may include: Communications, Environmental Science, English, Marketing, or closely related field(s), and
– One to three years of relevant work experience.
Candidates with other professional experiences that align with the stated Roles and Responsibilities may be considered.
The Communication Manager requires an individual who is bright, energetic and talented with a broad skillset and natural interpersonal skills. S/he should be detail-oriented and an excellent manager of his/her time with the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Communication Manager should be able to work both collaboratively and independently, to provide follow-through on initiatives from conception to completion, to work under pressure at various times and to manage a wide variety of activities.
The ideal individual should enjoy working in a tight-knit community for a small work environment that is mission driven and environmentally focused. S/he should have a willingness to learn new skills, to anticipate and resolve issues and to seek outside information as needed. The Communication Manager must exercise good judgment in a variety of situations and with a variety of stakeholders. This individual has strong written and verbal communication. Writing samples may be requested.
This position requires an individual who is technologically savvy. Experience with WordPress (or other website platforms), Adobe Creative Suite (or other graphic design software), Constant Contact (or other email marketing tools), Microsoft Office and various social media sites is preferred.
The Communication Manager search will remain open until it is filled, but applications received by Wednesday, November 21st will receive more thorough consideration. To apply, send the following materials in PDF format to Stephanie Prellwitz, Executive Director, at email@example.com.
1) A cover letter that communicates a desire for the position and demonstrates credentials related to the outlined Roles and Responsibilities, Minimum Qualifications and Desired Skills and Background,
2) A resume (1-2 pages in length) that summarizes relevant education and experience,
3) A list of 3 professional references with contact information and relationship to the applicant (We will only contact references for final candidates and we will notify you ahead of time), and
4) Optional: A writing sample (paper, report, press release, blog entry, etc.) to give us a sense of your writing style and abilities.
If preferred, applicants can mail application packets to the Green Lake Association, PO Box 364, Green Lake, WI 54941.