|Employer||Americas Society / Council of the Americas|
|Location||New York, NY|
|Apply by||Dec. 9, 2017|
|Posted on||November 10, 2017|
Americas Society and Council of the Americas (AS/COA) are sister organizations providing the most trusted forum for debate on issues affecting the Western Hemisphere.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices in Washington and Miami, AS/COA holds high-level events across the United States and Latin America and is the publisher of Americas Quarterly, the leading publication dedicated to politics, business, and culture in the Americas.
The Communications Associate supports the media relations senior director in the design and implementation of a media strategy to expand engagement and influence for the organizations’ experts, policy and cultural programming, and publications. Position start date estimated to be early January, 2018.
- Assist the senior director of media relations in the definition and execution of the organizations’ media strategy, staying on top of evolving media trends and playing a role in outreach strategies.
- Handle all components of a proactive media strategy, from identifying opportunities to drafting media pitches, placing stories, and monitoring.
- Draft communications’ materials including press releases, media advisories, and e-newsletters and handle e-mail distribution.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date press lists and contacts, including social media influencers and influential reporters/editors.
- Help design and implement strategies to expand social media audience and engagement.
- Track media coverage and produce news monitoring reports. Manage relationship and monitor performance of PR software services provider.
- Field media requests and respond to reporters’ inquiries.
- Assist with press events such as press previews and press conferences.
- Manage the production and submission of AS/COA’s marketing, advertising, and promotional materials, serving as liaison for designers and advertising outlets. Oversee fulfillment of barter agreements.
- Curate and publish content including press releases, media articles, video, and other multimedia content in the AS/COA Online newsroom.
- Research and develop talking points for media interview preparation.
- Supervise and mentor communications intern.
- Assume administrative tasks and other related duties as required.
Qualifications and attributes
The candidate is expected to be a self-starter who can work independently and balance multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
Skills and qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 2 years work experience in public relations, media relations, communications, or journalism.
- Excellent English-language writing skills. Fluency in Spanish essential. Knowledge of Portuguese helpful.
- A strong interest in and understanding of Latin America and international affairs.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and be detail oriented.
- Excellent research and organizational skills.
- Experience with updating web content preferred.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite—particularly Photoshop and InDesign—a plus.
- Experience expanding social media audiences and influence.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule that includes some early morning and evening commitments, as well as occasional domestic or international travel.
Americas Society/Council of the Americas is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience, as well as outstanding benefits including an excellent health and dental plan, vacation, and a generous 401(k) retirement plan.
Please email cover letter, resume, and at least one brief English-language writing sample to Media Relations Senior Director Adriana La Rotta by completing the application form below. Published clips—whether via links, PDFs, or some type of online portfolio—are welcome. No phone calls please. Only candidates selected to interview will be contacted.