|Employer||Rock River Coalition|
|Apply by||January 31, 2020|
|Posted on||November 26, 2019|
Rock River Coalition seeks an enthusiastic, detail-oriented person with a strong understanding of both science and communications to assist with data visualization, communications and outreach efforts. This is a limited term, part-time position. Hours are variable but are expected to average 10 to 15 hours a week. This position is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of communications responsibilities while working for a community based nonprofit organization. The position is currently funded for 8 months. If funding is available, the position will be extended.
Compensation: $14 per hour
Location: TBD-Most meetings will occur in Madison. The Rock River Coalition’s home office is in Jefferson, Wi at 864 Collins Road. Occasionally meetings will occur at our home office. However, it is anticipated that this position would work primarily from a TBD location in Madison and from the associate’s home office.
• Assist in planning, writing content, and creating visualizations for the data sharing and visualization section of the Rock River Coalition’s website.
• Work with staff to distill technical information in an easy to understand way for the general public.
• Write content for and create 4 ESRI story maps focusing on our water quality monitoring sites and the data collected.
• Conduct interviews with water resource professionals related to water quality in the Rock River Basin.
• Create content for Rock River Coalition’s social media presence, including creating facebook updates and events.
• Be a resource to the stream monitoring project coordinator and board for written and presentation materials.
• Prepare outreach materials for community engagement events.
• Assist with Rock River Coalition Events.
• Work with stream monitoring project coordinator and Rock River Coalition Board to interpret water quality data.
• Upload data to the Department of Natural Resources database.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
The successful candidate for this position will have the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree or enrolled in a master’s program in communications, water resources, environmental science or related. (Should have extensive knowledge of both science and communications.)
• Excellent communication (written, oral, listening, interpersonal) and organizational skills.
• Familiar with data analysis.
• Exceptional writing and editing skills.
• Self-motivated with an attention to detail.
• Willingness to take on work outside the immediate job description.
• The ability to work with limited supervision and successfully within a team.
• Experience with Microsoft Word Suite.
• Must have a home computer.
• A passion for water resources and the environment.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
• ESRI ArcMap software experience.
• ESRI story maps experience.
• Familiarity with the land and waters of the Rock River Basin.
To apply please email your resume, cover letter, two writing samples and 2 PDFs of ESRI maps if you have them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline—January 31, 2019.
Anticipated Starting Date—February 17, 2019.
Rock River Coalition is a non-profit organization whose mission is to educate and provide opportunities for people of diverse interests to work together to improve the environmental, recreational, cultural, and economic resources of the Rock River Basin. Established 25 years ago, the organization pursues its mission through citizen engagement.
The Rock River Coalition provides equal opportunity in programs and employment. The Rock River Coalition does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, arrest record or non-program related conviction record.