|Employer||Minnesota Public Radio|
|Location||Saint Paul, MN|
|Apply by||March 26, 2018|
|Posted on||March 13, 2018|
The intern will report and write daily and project-based stories, working both independently and with digital reporters and on occasion with radio reporters. The intern will need to be a self-starter, have an eye for news and be able to write quickly, thoroughly and accurately, usually on tight daily deadlines. Preferably, the intern should have experience working inside a content management system, know how to use social tools to report and to mine for news, and have a working understanding about types of stories that work well on various digital platforms. The candidate should be enterprising and innovative.
Experience with photography, videography and audio is a plus.
Application deadline: March 26, 2018
This is a full time, paid summer internship opportunity June – Aug. $12.50 per hour. Exact start and end date to be determined based on school schedule and availability.
- Make calls and gather information from news sources as assigned.
- Plan and produce daily/weekly stories for various MPR News.org, with an eye toward mobile.
- Work with reporters and producers to produce social media features as assigned.
- Assist with production tasks as assigned, these may range from making calls to helping produce stories in our content management system.
- Generate story assignment and project ideas.
- Work on a range of assignments, including spot news, features, lists and explanatory stories.
- Follow established workflow and production routines.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- College student, graduate student or recent graduate (within 1 year) in journalism or a liberal arts degree program.
- Coursework should demonstrate an emphasis in writing, communications, English or a related field.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Awareness of current events, news topics and issues are essential.
- Reliable news judgment.
- Knowledge of Associated Press style.
- Ability to follow directions and work under tight deadlines.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, curious, creative and detail-oriented.
- Ability to learn new computer programs.
- Ability to work efficiently and independently.
- Creative thinker, with ability to generate story ideas.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Prior journalism experience in student media or other internships.
- Understanding of social media tools.
- Comfort with web publishing systems.
- Knowledge of social media platforms.
- Knowledge of HTML and working in a content management system a bonus.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Flexible work schedule; primarily day shifts, with some additional evening and weekend availability required.
- Must have a personal vehicle available for use. Mileage reimbursement will be provided.
- Must have a valid, current driver’s license.
- Must have a clean driving record with no DWIs or excessive amount of traffic violations or accidents.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate to high noise level.
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.