|Employer||Central Washington University|
|Apply by||February 28, 2020|
|Posted on||February 12, 2020|
Reporting to the Vice President of Public Affairs, the Internal Communications Manager will plan and execute internal communications strategies to engage internal audiences and support a positive workplace culture. S/he will identify and deploy multiple platforms and channels to deliver compelling content and work with leadership in the Department of Public Affairs to direct message development with internal stakeholders.
The purpose of this new position within Public Affairs is to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of internal communications at CWU. Ideally, this individual will ensure consistency and synergy with other university public relations professionals and the CWU brand. The manager will also build and maintain strong ties with the Department of Human Resources, which will be one of the major internal stakeholders for this position.
All employees are expected to support CWU’s commitment to diversity and to bring and support inclusion into the university environment.
— Collaborate with Department of Public Affairs staff and other campus communicators to ensure alignment and consistency of internal and external messaging.
— Assemble and lead an internal communication task force to conduct needs analysis, align stakeholders, and create strategy. Partner with senior leadership and representatives to ensure a consistent approach, provide channels for feedback and ideas, and determine metrics for success.
— Analyze campus-wide internal communication practices, identify best practices, and develop and execute strategies that ensure effective communication and transparency across and within divisions of the university.
— Identify university initiatives and processes that need greater clarity and visibility. Develops strategies to explain and communicate them clearly and successfully to faculty, staff and students.
— Work with administrative offices (Human Resources, University Registrar, University Auditor, University Business Office, and others) to analyze current communication practices and improve collaboration, communication, transparency, and accountability.
— Help employees understand the importance of the work they do. Assist the university in fostering a sense of belonging among students, employees, and the community through clear messaging that is consistent, customer-centric, and strengthens connections to CWU.
— Manage and execute communication around institutional announcements including organizational structure, appointments, programs, awards, employee recognition, and other critical events.
— Promote employee resources, expectations, and development opportunities.
— Work with Department of Public Affairs staff to research, develop, and implement appropriate and effective tools for content distribution, which may include an employee intranet, newsletters, appropriate web pages, email bulletins, campus notices, and calendars. Investigate technologies and develop best practices for connecting across the organization, such as company chat software (e.g. Yammer), file sharing, and collaboration tools (e.g. SharePoint, Dropbox, Google Drive).
— Plan, write and edit content for internal communications channels, including web, email, social media, and print.
— Create or update a CWU-style guide and/or brand book and post in a readily accessible place for department representatives. Coach employees on the best approach to reach intended audiences while building CWU’s brand.
— Monitor and assess utilization of internal communication media to determine effectiveness.
— Assist Department of Public Affairs with crisis communications support to ensure adequate and appropriate communications to CWU’s internal audiences.
— Other duties as assigned.
• B.A. in English, Journalism, Communications or related field required.
• Minimum of 3+ years of demonstrated success in developing and implementing organizations communications programs and strategies.
• Strong working knowledge of communications best practices and ability to guide university messaging with diplomacy, tact, and sensitivity for all audiences.
• Proficiency in using communications software/tools and deploying effective communications through web content management, blogs, intranets, social media, presentations and photo-editing.
• Excellent storytelling abilities and the capacity to frame CWU’s current and evolving story in a clear and compelling way to faculty, staff and students.
• Success developing and implementing effective communications plans.
• Capacity to manage multiple deadlines and projects effectively.
• Demonstrated strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Demonstrated willingness and/or experience working with students and/or co-workers from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds and experiences.
• OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
• Previous experience in higher education organization and operations, particularly in a liberal arts environment.
• 3-5 years general journalistic or marketing experience to a wide variety of audiences.
• Familiarity with using culturally sensitive and inclusive language and telling stories that accurately and equitably represent diverse populations.
• Experience in developing marketing materials for online and print distribution.
• Advanced understanding of audiences and the ability to apply public relations knowledge to communications strategy.
• Prior management of complex projects and advising senior managers.
• Demonstrated participation in programs designed to promote inclusion.
• A record of promoting inclusivity in the work environment.
• Ability to incorporate multicultural perspectives and issues into everyday conversations.
• Life experiences that demonstrate an ability to contribute to CWU’s commitment to inclusion and diversity.
• Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
• Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
• Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
• Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
• Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
• Strategic Thinking: Able to implement department strategic objectives into actionable plans and goals. Collects and assesses information on multiple and relevant factors to develop policies and make critical strategic decisions.
• Change Adaptability: Understands the effects of change on internal audiences and proactively clarifies information to help them deal with a changing work environment. Identifies structural process, people change, and solutions to achieve change initiative goals and targets.
• Communication and Networking: Uses diversified styles of communication (e.g., explains by describing impact or circumstances, etc.) to influence and create buy-in for ideas. Encourages open expression and common understanding of ideas and opinions. Builds networks within and outside own department and leverages these relationships to execute specific plans and initiatives.
• Drive for Results: Inspires learning within work group by identifying key knowledge areas and sources and facilitating knowledge sharing. Takes full responsibility for unforeseen delays/issues, openly communicates situation and quickly adjusts plans, resources for the best possible outcomes. Proactively looks for areas to improve quality of services to ensure customer satisfaction.
Click here for the full job-description and to apply online.
Application Deadline–February 28, 2020.