|Location||New York, NY|
|Apply by||Deadline not specified—Apply ASAP!|
|Posted on||September 13, 2022|
Quanta Magazine seeks an enthusiastic and experienced video producer to collaborate on the production of animated explainers, hosted series and short documentaries about the life sciences, physics, computer science and mathematics.
Quanta’s YouTube channel is reimagining the art of science video production. The incoming producer will report to and assist the director of video in creating high-quality videos featuring compelling stories, deeply researched science and math concepts, thoughtful interviews with experts, and artful visuals that make learning intuitive and fun.
The ideal candidate will be a deft video editor; a writer who can turn a dense topic into an enthralling narrative journey; and an experienced video/film producer. This is a dynamic opportunity for a video professional looking for a creative and intellectually-stimulating role on an award-winning team. If you love going down a rabbit hole to learn about quantum physics, neuroscience and number theory — and if you’re up to the challenge of creating a story and visual treatment to make these complex concepts shine — then this role is for you.
This is a full-time position based in our offices in New York City.
• In collaboration with the director of video, produce animated video explainers, hosted series, and short documentaries about the life sciences, physics, computer science and mathematics.
• Writing: Develop pitches for explainers and series episodes, identify experts to partner with, conduct extensive research on the topic and write engaging and informative scripts.
• Directing/producing: Direct experts through narration recording for explainers, create storyboards for illustration and animation, project-manage the animation workflow, create a sound mix with SFX and music cues, and manage deliverables through publication.
• Managing short documentary shoots: Conduct research, perform outreach to high-quality local production crew, contribute interview questions, scout for visual opportunities, create a shooting schedule, collaborate with crew and subject on location and perform other production tasks as needed.
• Editing: Source archival material, select music tracks, and complete color and sound passes.
• Help assemble creative teams for new projects, including illustrators, animators, additional producers, cinematographers and editors.
• Support: Provide ongoing support to streamline project management, workflow and inter-departmental communication.
• Socials: Partner with Quanta’s engagement editor to create social assets for videos as needed.
• A degree in video, film or media journalism, or equivalent professional experience.
• At least 4 years of experience writing, editing and producing videos.
• Expertise in Adobe Premiere and proficiency in Adobe Photoshop.
• An enthusiastic interest in science communication.
• A proactive, fast learner who can research deeply and problem-solve, especially when confronted with unfamiliar tasks or subject matter.
• An excellent judge of video quality with an understanding of animation, cinematography, editing, production, and post-production processes that contribute to success.
• An innovative visual storyteller with a sharp eye for design and high art.
• A superior verbal, written and interpersonal communicator.
• Desirable: Familiarity with Adobe After Effects; experience producing or writing science content.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
• Resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position.
• Three to five video samples (with scripts where applicable) that demonstrate mastery of the following skills: video editing, producing and writing.
Click here to apply online.
No Deadline Specified—Apply ASAP!