If you haven’t seen all the places a J-School degree can take you, check out our alumni stories.
We accept applications in fall and spring semesters. Here’s what you need to be eligible:
- Completion of J201, Introduction to Mass Communication (you can apply during the semester you’re enrolled in J201, rather than waiting for the next semester)
- Completion of 24 credits by the time of admission, including what you’re enrolled in when you apply (generally this usually means freshmen can apply in your second semester at UW-Madison and transfer students can apply during your first semester here)
The application requires a few things to help us get to know you:
- Resume – be sure to include all relevant experiences, including any jobs you’ve had, regardless of whether they’re in communication (in other words, we like hard workers in any field, from waiting tables to lifeguarding to interning at an ad agency) – If you would like your resume reviewed, you can visit SuccessWorks or schedule an appointment with Pam Garcia-Rivera, the career advisor in SJMC.
- Transcript – you can request this here
- Statement of interest in the major – this is 550 words to tell us why you want to be in the J-School and how the major can help you meet your goals (we’ll be looking at your interests but also at your writing, so focus on being clear, concise and clean)
- A few short survey questions – all the things you’re used to in admissions forms – name, hometown, year in school, etc.
Ready for the next step?
Here’s one thing you need to know. Our application form currently cannot be saved midway and completed later. So here’s what you need to do now.
Application for Spring 2023
The application for admission to SJMC is currently closed. Check back later for info on applying for Spring 2023.
May 1, 11:55 p.m. CT: Deadline for admission to the fall class
December 1: Deadline for admission to the spring class
Getting into the J-School
If you hear hype on the street that you’ll never get into the J-School, don’t listen. The vast majority of students who have a strong interest in the J-School get in, graduate and go on to fulfilling careers.
We notify students of their admissions decision by early January for fall semester applications and early June for spring semester applications.
If you are not admitted on your first try, you are welcome to apply again.
Take advice from Rory Linnane, a J-School grad and award-winning reporter: "I didn't get into the journalism school the first time I applied, so don't give up on the field if you're passionate about it!"
We have admission information sessions scheduled on the following days:
- Wednesday, Oct. 19, 6-7 p.m., 5055 Vilas (Snacks provided!)
- Wednesday, Nov. 2, 6-7 p.m., 5055 Vilas (Snacks provided!)
- Friday, Nov. 18, 12-1 p.m., Zoom webinar
- Monday, Nov. 28, 12-1 p.m., Zoom webinar
You’re also welcome to contact your J201 instructor or any of the J201 guest lecturers of interest to you if you want to know more about how you might find your future in the major. Contact information for everyone is here.
Finally, you can meet with our undergraduate advisor for any and all questions. Contact Sandra Kubat at firstname.lastname@example.org.