The Ben and Karen Deutsch Internship Fund and the School of Journalism and Mass Communication Board of Visitors Summer Support Fund were established to support student summer internships. The Deutsch Internship Fund was established in memory of Ben’s friend, roommate and classmate, Howie Stillman. Awards will range up to $4,000. Undergraduate and graduate students in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication are eligible to apply.
- Be enrolled in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication with a graduation date after December 2021.
- Be on campus and enrolled in school during the Fall 2021 semester.
- Have applied for, secured, or been accepted for a summer internship. The internship must last a minimum of six weeks and involve a minimum of 120 hours of work, with a minimum of 20 hours/week.
- Show proof of internship(s) – if you applied for more than one; this may include a copy of the completed application, time period and hours of internship, a complete description of job duties and responsibilities, and include the amount of pay or stipend being provided. If already accepted into the internship, a letter from the supervisor confirming acceptance. If you are still in the process, you can upload a copy of email communications.
Awards will be based on the following considerations:
- How this internship will benefit you in regard to your personal and professional goals.
- How this scholarship assistance will enable you (be specific) to participate in this internship opportunity.
- Your motivation and passion for the internship and why you specifically want this opportunity.
- The breakdown of anticipated expenses during the summer of your internship.
- Preference will be given to students who may not have had any internship experiences to date related to their personal/professional goals and/or have a financial need.
Internships at a partisan political organization and/or for a legislator cannot be considered.
Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Application is available online through Scholarships@UW-Madison here.
Before you begin, be sure that you have created a PDF file that contains the following:
- Resume – Include all internships and experiences.
- Internship Description(s) – If you have more than one potential internship that you have applied to, please list all of them.
- Start/End Dates of Internship – Number of hours/week of internship; payment or stipend; whether you are required to receive credit.
- Proof of Internship Acceptance
- The Name and Email Address of the person recommending you for this scholarship.
Application deadline has passed. Check back later for future application details.
The selection committee will interview finalists before making a final decision. Applicants will be notified by the end of April.